Sunday, January 29, 2006

Stupid People

Let me tell you about today...My father has been in town for a Boy Scout event so Philip, Jeff and I drove to Moore this morning for church service. In front of us sat a cute boy who looked to be about 4 or 5 with his mother who was about 10. Ok, not really she was probably about my age however she interacted with him more a sibling than a mother. She displayed unreal expectations for his behavior and could not lose the harsh tone or stop twitching. I felt as if I was watching a bad parent/child interaction video that would be utilized to help me, as a therapist, teach a parent how to positively interact with the child; kind of a “watch this and let’s discuss where you would start working w/ this family.” It took all I had to not tell the boy to crawl under the seat to join me for the remaindered of service. Then there was the service…let’s just say it was the quintessential church of Christ experience. Next we took my grandparents out for lunch, as tomorrow is their 60th wedding anniversary; Lunch conversations highlighted differences in family members. Dad, Jeff and I went back to my grandparents to spend time with them. On the drive back to Edmond Jeff and I were processing the day (as it was only 2:30 and there was MUCH to process). As we were driving, still on the south side, we spotted this bumper sticker…”Saw it…Wanted it…Threw a fit…GOT IT!!!” With that we threw up our hands shaking our heads in disbelief; with that mentality, I will never be out of a job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

i have no kids so i don't want to judge those who do and try their best. i recognize that if God blesses me with children, i will stumble and fall and flat-out fail more times than i want to admit. i also recognize that the most well-intentioned, loving parents can raise kids who turn out to be hellions.

but that still doesn't alleviate the irritation i feel sometimes. is that bad?

Anonymous said...

I am a mom & being a parent mean PARENTING - NOT friending!

I love being a mom but I know that they are my responsibility not just a play mate.