Sunday, August 24, 2008

Who Knew??

Who knew that in the canals of your ears there are little rocks that help you keep your balance?? Well not me until I almost blacked out in the shower yesterday!!!! That's right, was SUPER tired, got really hot, dizzy, nausea, things started to go black and I sat down. It took me what felt like forever to get to my bed and I then either passed out or fell asleep. Jeff got home, was a bit worried and we called my official EMT brother who suggested going to an urgent care facility. Well that is what I did, found out all my vital signs were good. The doctor came in and made me do all these activities (ones like you see drunk individuals doing on the side of the road) then determined (as my eyes were rotating and I could not stay balanced with my eyes closed) I had Benign Postural Nystagmus (one of the rocks in my ears had gotten misplaced), gave me a prescription for Valium and told me to the Hill-Pike Maneuver. I asked him about the EXTREME tiredness and he said that was my body's way of making sure I stayed safe while my balance was off...God is AMAZING!!!! The way our bodies take care of us! So I took some medicine, laid on my back allowing my head to hang for 15 minutes, then 15 minutes on each side. Next I simply had to stay upright for 12 hours (there was not a lot of sleeping) and today, no more dizziness! So Who Knew there are rocks in my ears that help us stay balanced...Thanks God for making my body work so well and knowing so much about me.!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

So glad you are okay now and that it was nothing too serious. Did the doctor say how this happens or did he just say "it happens"?

Tamra said...

That is crazy! I had no idea!!! I wonder if I got boulders instead of rocks, and that's why my ears are stuffy. Hmmm....

Love you, friend.

Gina said...

Wow, God is soooo cool! Glad you're okay!

Krista said...

I'm glad you're okay. I remember having vertigo once and I was dizzy like that for days. I almost fell over into a wall while walking through a hallway at work. Like it isn't enough that I can't stay balanced on my own so we had to throw vertigo into the mix. haha!